Research Study: Novel Interventions for Gulf War Illness
Location: VA Boston Healthcare System
Contact: Liz Weinstein
Researchers at VA Boston are Studying Holistic, Non-Medical Treatments for Gulf War Illness
Many people who served in the Gulf War in 1990 and 1991 have persistent problems such as:
- Muscle weakness, joint pain, or stiffness
- Mood, memory, or attention concerns
We are recruiting adults who are experiencing these problems for a health promotion study.
Q: Who can participate?
- Veterans who served in the Gulf in 1990- 1991 and
- Have pain and other symptoms of Gulf War Illness.
Q: What are the treatments?
- You will be randomly assigned to either a Wellness or Tai Chi group
- Wellness Group: A skills based class promoting wellness by focusing on exercise, surroundings, personal growth, diet, sleep habits, relationships, spirituality, and relaxation. Mindfulness practice and goal setting are discussed in every meeting.
- Tai Chi Group: A Tai Chi class for beginners that teaches movements, forms, and philosophy. Tai Chi is a slow moving martial art that combines flowing postures with breathing, meditation, and stretching.
- Both groups meet twice a week for 12 weeks.
Q: What is involved in the study?
- An initial assessment involving an interview, questionnaires and assessment of your physical and mental health
- A final assessment after the last session of the program
- 3 and 9 month follow-up assessments
Q: Will I be compensated?
Yes. If you qualify and complete the study, you will receive up to $515 for your time and transportation.
Q: Where will this study take place?
This study will take place at the VA Boston Healthcare System located in Jamaica Plain.
Q: Will medications be prescribed?
No, this study does not involve medications.
For more information contact
Our staff will answer any questions you may have, and help you to decide if our Novel Interventions for Gulf War Illness study is a good fit for you. If so, you will be scheduled for your first appointment. You may choose not to participate at any time.