Biosafety & Biosecurity Program
The VA Office of Research and Development (ORD) has developed its Biosafety & Biosecurity Program to ensure the safety of individuals involved with research at Veterans Health Administration research laboratories and to protect the environment. The program strives to ensure the security and safety of all individuals, resources, information, biological agents, chemical agents and radiation materials/sources found within research laboratories. ORD's biosafety and biosecurity program functions in coordination with similar programs at individual medical centers. Activities at VA Central Office ORD involve developing VHA policy, issuing guidance, communicating training requirements and initiating training programs as well as working closely and coordinating with other Federal entities regarding biosafety, biosecurity and homeland defense.
Brenda Cuccherini, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Phone (202) 443-5604 or
E-mail address: Brenda.Cuccherini@va.gov
Policy and Guidance
Training and Educational Materials
A: Biosecurity Training Program
VHA Handbook 1200.6, Control of Hazardous Agents in VA Research Laboratories, Paragraph 7i specifies the basic security requirements for VHA research personnel. All new VHA research laboratory staff must view the slide show prior to beginning their duties.
In addition to viewing the slide show, employees must also receive:
- Security training that is specific to the facility to which they are assigned
- Laboratory safety training as required in VHA Handbooks 1200.6 and 1200.8, "Safety of Personnel Engaged in Research"
- Safety training that is specific to the biological, chemical and physical hazardous that they may encounter in their duties
B: Additional Reference Materials
Useful Links and Information
- VHA National Health Physics Program:
- VA Center for Engineering and Occupational Safety and Health:
http://vaww.ceosh.med.va.gov (VA Intranet only)