Find VA Research Projects
PubMed Central is an archive of full-text articles from biomedical and life-sciences journals. The archive is maintained by the National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine. All published articles funded through VA are made available to the public in PubMed Central no later than 12 months after their publication in a journal.
To find articles in PubMed Central, follow these steps:
1. Visit https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ by clicking the link or typing it into your web browser.
2. Click on "Advanced" at the top of the page.
3. You will see a drop-down menu that says "All Fields" on the left. Select "Grant Number" from the drop-down menu.
Type "I01" (the letter “I,” followed by the numerals “01”) in the box to the right of the drop-down menu.
5. Type "Veterans" in the box to the right of the second "All Fields" drop-down menu.
6. Type the topic you are interested (e.g., PTSD) in the box to the right of the third "All Fields" drop-down menu.
7. Click on "Search."
To search for published work by VA researchers that may not be in PubMed Central, visit https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed. PubMed gives citations and abstracts (short summaries of research) for articles published in a large number of journals. Links to full-text articles may be available, but this may not be the case for every article. Include search terms such as "Veteran," "VA," and "Veterans Affairs" to locate articles by VA researchers.
Details about ongoing research funded by the VA Office of Research and Development that has not yet been published can be found for free through NIH Reporter.
To find projects in NIH Reporter, follow these steps:
- Visit https://report.nih.gov by clicking the link or typing it into your web browser.
- Move your cursor to "RESEARCH" on the top tool bar.
- Select "RePORTER" from the drop-down menu.
- Under "TEXT SEARCH," type the subject topic you are interested in (e.g., PTSD) in the dialog box.
- Under "PROJECT DETAILS," click the "SELECT" button to the right of "Agency/Institute/Center." (Make sure the "Admin" box is checked.)
- Click the "Check/Uncheck All" box to clear all checks.
- Click in the "Veterans Affairs (VA)" box.
- Click "SELECT."
- Click the "SUBMIT QUERY" button.