Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses for 2009
Download the full report here – Gulf War Report to Congress - 2009 (980 KB, PDF)
From the Introduction to the 2009 Gulf War Report
Section 707 of Public Law 102-585, as amended by section 104 of Public Law 105-368 and section 502 of Public Law
111-163, requires that an annual report be submitted to the Senate and House Veterans' Affairs Committees on the
results, status, and priorities of research activities related to the health consequences of military service in the Gulf War
(Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm; August 2, 1990 – July 31, 1991). The Research Subcommittee of the
interagency Deployment Health Working Group (DHWG) prepared this 2009 Annual Report to Congress, which is the
sixteenth report on Federal research and research activities. The DHWG tracks all federally funded research projects
related to Gulf War Veterans' illnesses (GWVI).
As in previous Annual Reports to Congress, the material presented is divided into 5 sections.
- Section I is an introduction;
- Section II summarizes the research priorities and organization of the Federal Gulf War (GW) research
- Section III highlights and summarizes research progress published since the last Annual Report;
- Section IV summarizes Federal funding trends for GW research during the 10-year period from fiscal year (FY) 2000 through FY
- and Section V highlights new research projects and initiatives.
Note: Additional resources can be found at DeployMed ResearchLINK. This on-line library is a collaborative effort of three departments - the Defense Department, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Health and Human Services.