Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses Summary, 2016-2018
Download: Annual Summary FY 2016, Appendix B, Appendix C
From the Introduction to the 2016-2018 Gulf War Summary
Section 707 of Public Law (P.L.) 102-585, as amended by section 104 of P.L. 105-368 and section 502 of P.L. 111-163, required that an annual report be submitted to the Senate and House Veterans' Affairs Committees through 2014 on the results, status, and priorities of research activities related to the health consequences of military service in the Gulf War (GW) in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, 1990 and 1991. The Research Subcommittee of the interagency Deployment Health Working Group (DHWG) prepared the Annual Report to Congress on Federally Sponsored Research on Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses for 2014, which was the 21st report on Federal research and research activities. This report (2016) and last year's (2015) follow the general format of the earlier reports but are not required by Congress.
As in previous annual reports to Congress, the material presented is divided into six sections and three appendices.
- Section I is an introduction;
- Section II summarizes the research priorities and organization of the Federal GW research portfolio;
- Section III highlights and summarizes research progress published since the last annual report to Congress;
- Section IV summarizes Federal funding trends for GW research during the
10-year period from fiscal year (FY) 2007 through FY 2016;
- Section V highlights new research projects and initiatives since the last report;
- Section VI contains literature references; and the Appendices contain listings of federally-funded research projects.