BRAVE Funding Program
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
The VA Technology Transfer BRAVE Funding Program is an intramural funding mechanism through which eligible VA inventors can receive up to $100,000 to support innovation and development of VA owned, or jointly owned, intellectual property assets to better position their technology for commercialization and impact – Bringing Research Advancements for Veterans to Everyone!
Generally, project proposals fall into one of the following categories:
- Minimum Viable Prototype production
- Prototype testing
- Clinical grade prototype production
- Chemical synthesis and testing
- in vitro proof of concept testing
- ex vivo proof of concept testing
- in vivo animal model testing
- Pharmacokinetic or pharmacodynamic testing
- Clinical pilot study
- Equipment and/or reagents to develop a prototype or to support one of the above categories
- Other (review Biomedical Technology Readiness Guidelines to identify commercially relevant aims)
Eligible inventions are available on the VA Technology Transfer Portal. Budget proposals must be commensurate with need and utilized by end of FY24 (prototyping services may be available through the VA Technology Transfer Assistance Program at no cost: vehiCLE/ATP, MADE, HERL). Applicants must email a Letter of Intent (LOI) to their local Technology Transfer Specialist (TTS) to be considered for application. A link to the full application will be emailed to those invited to apply.
View the FY24 BRAVE Funding Program Announcement for Complete Details and Application Instructions
LOI Submission Window: June 1 - June 21, 2023 (download LOI form) (email your local TTS)
Open Q&A Session 1: June 13 @ 1pm EST (add to calendar)
LOI Review: June 21 – July 5, 2023
Invitation to Apply: July 12, 2023
Application Window: July 12 - August 7, 2023
Open Q&A Session 2: July 25 @ 1pm EST (add to calendar)
Application Review: August 10 – August 30, 2023
Award Decision: September 5, 2023
Start Date: October 1, 2023 (contingent upon release of funds by VA Finance)
Project Compliance Approval Deadline (if applicable): December 29, 2023.
Final Reports: Due within 30 days of project end-date.